From: David Fellows <fellows@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o, Gen Zhang <genneth@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Maybe a new etc-update is needed? Was: problem after emerge --update world
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:09:23
1 > Ditto for here. However, I was thinking of implementing something more
2 > intelligent, based around a 3-way merge. It's just a quick and dirty
3 > script that scans for updates, ala etc-update, then calls out to
4 > something a little more appropriate, like meld or xxdiff. It would keep
5 > a copy of the 'vanilla' config files in /.etc (or something), and
6 > attempt 3-way merges, assuming that /.etc/config is the common ancestor
7 > of /etc/config and /etc/.config000 (I forget exactly how portage names
8 > them); after a successful merge it would move the new vanilla file
9 > to /.etc.
10 >
11 > I hope that makes sense.
12 >