From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] recommended USE flags
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:08:01
1 On 8/11/06, Rafael Barrera Oro <rafael@××××××××××××××××.ar> wrote:
2 > Hello people, i installed a Gentoo 2006.0 with a LiveCD and i noticed
3 > make.conf is full of USE flags (a lot of em really) which every now and
4 > then cause emerges to merge a lot of packages that i dont need, so i
5 > wanted to ask if there is an advisable minimum set of flags that i could
6 > use.
7
8 I would recommend putting very few flags in make.conf, and making
9 heavy use of /etc/portage/package.use. In many cases, we add a flag
10 to make.conf because we want functionality for a single package, and
11 it ends up affecting other packages as well. Those flags that do go
12 in make.conf should truly have some global sense.
13
14 A good plan for trimming: for each flag in make.conf, do "USE=-flag
15 emerge -DNvp world". If only one or two installed packages use that
16 flag, move it it package.use. You also get a chance to possibly
17 rebuild some things without those flags to eliminate some
18 dependancies.
19
20 -Richard
21 --