From: "Conway S. Smith" <beolach@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I run a complete desktop remotely?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 22:27:56
1 On Sat, 26 May 2007 21:29:52 +0100
2 Simon Cooper <thecoop@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > As a side point, would it be possible to run an accelerated X client
4 > with the nvidia drivers? eg, have a standard X server, and the X
5 > client uses the nvidia drivers - would that result in a hardware
6 > accelerated session (given a fast enough network)?
9 No, the hardware acceleration has to be on the X Server (the display)
10 side. But the client side can take advantage of the server's hardware
11 acceleration, even if the client doesn't have hardware of its own. The
12 X-over-SSH2 link from my earlier email talks about running TuxRacer on
13 a host w/out hardware acceleration, displayed over a network on a X
14 Server that did have acceleration. There is a very noticeable
15 framerate drop due to the network & compression/decompression &
16 encryption/decryption overhead, but in the TuxRace example he does call
17 it "playable". I dunno that I'd agree w/ that, unless you have both a
18 really fast network & really fast processors on both the client &
19 server.
22 Conway S. Smith