From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] GCC 4.5.1 with FLTO and Graphite
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:08:04
1 On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:56:49 +0200
2 Claes Gyllenswärd <letharion@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > Regardless, I add that when graphite was still the coolest things
6 > since sliced bread (when 4.4 first came out, IIRC), I tried it out
7 > locally.
10 Well for me it is only partly a matter of being "cool." I do a fair
11 amount of image processing and anything that offers the possibility
12 of more speed would be welcome. Also, I burn a lot of DVDs and for
13 data protection I usually include some sort of data-recovery capability.
14 Producing par2 archives, for example, is a very slow process and more
15 speed or efficiency produced by the compiler would be welcome for this
16 task as well.
17
18 From time to time I get the urge to write my own routines in pure
19 assembly language. Hand-crafted assembly code would be much faster
20 than compiled code. But I usually quickly come to my senses -- it
21 would be an enormous job. For now, the gcc compiler is the only option.
22
23 I also thought trying the Intel ICC compiler, but no version is
24 available for a pure 64-bit system (i.e. no multilib). It seems
25 that those highly paid Intel programmers, even after many years,
26 can't produce a pure 64-bit Linux version.
27
28 Frank Peters