From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] USB scanners and udev
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:46:37
1 Also not, perhaps, a 64-bit problem, but can someone please confirm that
2 they can plug a USB scanner in and have it work? I have an Epson Perfection
3 640U which works under M$ but not Gentoo.
4
5 I'm trying to follow gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_USB_Scanner, although
6 it's not easy with so many variations being covered in the one document. I
7 get as far as:
8
9 # sane-find-scanner -q
10 found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x010c [Perfection640 ])
11 at libusb:002:007
12
13 ...but:
14 # scanimage -L
15
16 No scanners were identified. [...]
17
18 I can locate the /dev/usbdev* devices that are created when I plug the
19 scanner in; changing their ownership to root:scanner has no effect on
20 scanimage. I am in the scanner group, but running as root makes no
21 difference anyway.
22
23 Udev is at version 106, kernel 2.6.20, hotplug is started in the default
24 run-level (though it seems to make no difference); what else can I say?
25
26 Do I have to write a udev rule? /lib64/modules/2.6.20-gentoo/modules.usbmap
27 contains nothing pertaining to my scanner, or is this a red herring?
28
29 /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug contains a single blank line. Another red herring?
32 Rgds
33 Peter Humphrey
34 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93
35 --