From: Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] GDM hates me
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 18:16:34
1 Ok, while I realize that GDM cannot "hate" me, I've been trying to ditch
2 SuSE10.2 for the past day, and when I install Gentoo, then reboot, it boots
3 properly, init launches everything it needs to, and then the screen goes
4 blank. I wait for a while, press the touchpad enable/disable button (it has
5 a light and if it ceases to function I know my OS has crashed), and it's
6 working. Then I wait a while, and still nothing. I try ctrl+alt+ backspace,
7 and that's when the fun starts. It crashes, completely locked up, at a
8 totally black screen. Only the lcd backlight is on. I've tried this with
9 Gentoo and Fedora, and Elive and Xandros do the same thing on livecd's. I'm
10 thinking gdm is causing my problems, so just for fun I tried Fedora sans
11 Gnome and only KDE, but alas: squat. It did the exact same thing. This
12 really ticks me off, because I've once again built up my appreciation for
13 Gentoo, and I'm ready to try it again, but it's failing. Not only that, but
14 every other distro I try fails me too, except SuSE, and I don't want to be
15 stuck with it for the next few weeks. I have a Compaq Presario v6000, amd
16 Turion64 x2, Nvidia graphics card, 120 gig hard disk with a good 20 gig
17 free. 2 gig ram. An interesting thing is that the Gentoo livecd boots just
18 fine, but it, as I understand, uses xdm as it's login manager. Help? Please?
19
20 -Peter