From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:10:30
1 Florian Philipp posted on Thu, 09 Dec 2010 10:48:29 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Didn't you post on gentoo-user that you watch youtube videos? Well, the
4 > currently stable version of adobe-flash (10.1.102.64) is 32bit-only.
5 > That will change again with the next higher version in the tree but the
6 > switch to 32bit can happen again when Adobe decides once again that it
7 > doesn't need to fix its security bugs for amd64.
8
9 Eh, I watch youtube, but NOT using flash servantware, and using 100% 64-
10 bit apps. The firefox extension I use is 1-click-youtube-downloader, but
11 there are others, and other ways to watch it (including in HTML5 native
12 format), if desired, without using servantware.
13
14 I always download the mp4 version, watching it using my video player of
15 choice (presently smplayer). I can then delete it if I don't like it, or
16 save it if I do. Sometimes videos disappear from youtube, you know, and
17 google doesn't need to know how many times I watch my favorites, or even
18 whether I consider it good enough to save or not.
19
20 IOW, particularly insecure and buggy servantware not required to view
21 youtube. =:^)
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman