From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with emerge on a dual-processor machine
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:08:55
1 Vesna Petrovic, mused, then expounded:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've just installed Gentoo on a dual-processor machine and now I'm running
5 > into the following problem - when I start emerge, it randomly stops and one
6 > of the following things happens:
7 > - the machine freezes completely so that I cannot switch to another
8 > console or do anything
9 > - if I already have multiple ssh sessions open, sometimes one of the
10 > sessions remains alive, but invoking any command freezes that session. Any
11 > attempt to kill a process has no effect.
12 > - soft lockup detected on at least one cpu.
15 First try swapping around the memory modules. If the system
16 exhibits the exact same pattern, then swap the cpus.
17
18 My guess is one of the low memory modules - below or at 1 GB, is flakey
19 or that the memory controller on one of the cpus, probably cpu 0, has
20 an issue.
21
22 Another thing to try is if you're running with 4-DIMMs per cpu, downgrade
23 to 2 DIMMS per cpu.
26 Bob
27 -
28 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html