From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Giving up 64 platform
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 01:59:31
1 Allan Spagnol Comar posted
2 <1cc2dc830604230856y5598b0eexba15c73c4f0ed86a@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:56:29 -0300:
4
5 > Hi folks on list. I don't know if I am the only one on the list having
6 > dificult with gentoo amd64 stability. Most of the internet and graphic
7 > world is beyond my command, like firefox and java ( always crash
8 > firefox ) or flash player, or mplayer ......
9
10 Is that amd64 stability, or 32-bit/64-bit issues? You say stability, but
11 then seem to list mostly 32-bit binary-only slaveryware. That's a
12 problem of known technical limitations, not general stability.
13
14 > I had 3 boxes running gentoo on a x86 platform without any problem,
15 > but 64 platform it really frustated me, its fast but most programs are
16 > masked. a lot of the programs I use won run unless you install a 32
17 > bit binary ( so what the point of using gentoo .... )
18
19 Most programs masked? I've found just the opposite. With some
20 exceptions, most freedomware code has already been ported and is available
21 for 64-bit. Where it's not explicitly marked, unless it's binary-only
22 slaveryware, you can often unmask it and try it, and it often just
23 compiles and works in 64-bit mode. Where it doesn't, often, all it takes
24 is a bit of tweaking by those who know and understand such things.
25 Sometimes, asking about it helps. If they don't know folks interested in
26 running it on 64-bit, it naturally has a lower porting priority.
27
28 Slaveryware? Well, it's slaveryware. If you choose to run it on your
29 box, you have to beg the masters who refuse to set their code free to be
30 merciful and deign to release 64-bit versions you can run. It's obvious
31 just what I think of such code and the folks who refuse to set it free, so
32 even if it works on 64-bit, I'm unlikely to want it on my box. Radical,
33 maybe, but I didn't go to the trouble of dumping a decade of knowledge and
34 experience on slaveryware to switch to Linux and just get right back into
35 it! My 100% honest opinion, altho I'm aware it's more radical than most
36 and don't /expect/ others to have the same opinion, or to the same degree.
37
38 > sorry for the talking. Thanks for all that help that was giving.
39
40 Not a problem! It's fun to help people, where one can, and of course the
41 help isn't all one way. Nobody's an expert in everything! =8^)
42
43 > An answer to end. It's worth to use gentoo x86 on a AMD64, or should I
44 > run a binary distribution ?
45
46 You may find a binary distribution works for you. Of course, asking here,
47 one would /expect/ to find most folks saying it didn't work well for them,
48 or they'd be there instead of here. If you've run 32-bit Gentoo on
49 multiple boxes, you should be familiar with all the arguments as to why we
50 like the Gentoo approach, and why and where it's better (for us) than a
51 binary distribution. Never-the-less, there are valid reasons to choose a
52 binary distribution rather than Gentoo, and if those reasons are more
53 important to you than the reasons you want a from-source distribution,
54 it's ridiculous to stay with Gentoo.
55
56 On the other hand, the arguments you've presented do NOT seem to argue for
57 switching to a binary distribution. You've said you've run a number of
58 32-bit Gentoo boxes, and further said you had no problems there, so you
59 seem to do OK with Gentoo in general, just not Gentoo for AMD64.
60
61 There's an option you didn't mention, however. I'd argue that it's the
62 best option for you, given what you presented above:
63
64 Why not simply run Gentoo for x86 on your AMD64 box? AMD64 runs 32-bit as
65 well as any other x86 box. Sure, it can run 64-bit as well, if you choose
66 to do so, and there are certain technical advantages to doing so, but if
67 you have a lot of 32-bit only programs you want to run, and no over-riding
68 reason to want to run 64-bit, running a standard 32-bit x86 OS on an AMD64
69 is a very solid option.
70
71 As I said above, given the arguments you've presented, it appears Gentoo
72 for x86 is your best option. Sure, you can run a binary distribution in
73 for either AMD64 or x86, but you've already stated that you are quite
74 comfortable with Gentoo on x86, and it does what you want and need, so why
75 not just run that on your AMD64 box too? That seems to ma a better fit
76 for you, given what you've said, than a binary distribution.
77
78 In any case, it's your box, your choice. We can all make suggestions, but
79 in the end, it's you that decide, and you that has to live with the
80 results of that decision, not us. I have a strong aversion to binary-only
81 slaveryware, and don't run it, but that doesn't mean you have the same
82 aversion to it. If it works for you and you can live with yourself
83 running it, it's your box, not mine, so I can't say don't. Most of those
84 here have a more mild aversion to binary distributions so of course will
85 say that's not a good choice. It may or may not be, for your box, but
86 it's you that decide, not me or them. The Gentoo for x86 option I
87 presented looks to me to be your best option, but again, that's my view,
88 from here, given what you wrote. If there's stuff you left out, it's very
89 possibly /not/ your best alternative. The point is, it's you that decide,
90 and you that lives with it, so don't feel pressured to do what someone
91 here suggests is the best for you, if you don't think it's best for
92 yourself.
93
94 Hope that helps, and good luck, whatever your choice! =8^)
99 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
100 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
104 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list