From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Psyco for portage on amd64
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:26:19
1 Alex Bennee posted <1130099813.2014.4.camel@malory>, excerpted below, on
2 Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:36:53 +0100:
3
4 > c/dispatcher.c: In function `fz_compress':
5 > c/dispatcher.c:232: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different
6 > size
7 > c/dispatcher.c:238: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different
8 > size
9
10 The code isn't 64-bit clean and will likely take a significant
11 amount of work to port (certainly for those not coders enough to
12 recognize the problem with the above... I don't claim to be a C coder or
13 knowledgable enough to fix the issue, but do see it).
14
15 Esearch says the homepage is http://psyco.sourceforge.net. Quoting the
16 top two news items on that page:
17
18 24 September 2005
19
20 [...]
21
22 A common question I get is whether Psyco will work on 64-bit x86
23 architectures. The answer is no, unless you have a Python compiled in
24 32-bit compatibility mode. If you haven't heard about PyPy, see the
25 following news item.
26
27 6 August 2005
28
29 For the last few months, Psyco has been hosted on http://codespeak.net in
30 a Subversion repository. However, Psyco has not been in very active
31 development for quite a while now. I consider that the project is as
32 complete as it can reasonably be. Developing it further would be possible
33 and interesting, but require much more efforts that I want to invest. The
34 future of Psyco now lies in the PyPy project, which according to plan will
35 provide a good base for a Python interpreter with better and
36 well-integrated Psyco-like techniques as soon as 2006. (Additionally, it
37 is not impossible that we could even derive a C extension module for
38 CPython very similar to today's Psyco.) So stay tuned to PyPy!
39
40 So... I'd suggest what he does... Take a look at PyPy...
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
46 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list