From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Anybody else having problems with audio/vidio apps and glibc-2.5?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:26:25
1 I've been having all /sorts/ of problems with formerly stable audio and
2 video apps crashing recently. The pattern is a crash at launch most (but
3 not all) of the time, often with some memory error. However, if it
4 /does/ start and works more than a few minutes, it's fully stable and
5 will play for hours without issue. xmms, kaffeine, amarok, all affected.
6
7 I didn't notice it until the upgrade to kde-3.5.5, which was my first big
8 set of apps built using the experimental CFLAG -ftree-vectorize as
9 discussed here a month or so ago, so I thought it was KDE. However, after
10 recompiling a bunch of stuff several different times/ways, nothing seemed
11 to be working.
12
13 Then I chanced across some ongoing discussion about nptl/linux-threads in
14 glibc-2.5 and forward on the dev list, while I was taking a break from
15 troubleshooting, and the thought occurred to me that glibc had been
16 upgraded at about the same time.
17
18 VWALLA! I try to downgrade to glibc-2.4-r4, and get hit with its sanity
19 downgrade blocker. It won't let me do it. So a quick reboot to my backup
20 image (still on glibc-2.4-r3) and a quick ROOT=<backup> (which is main
21 working, since I'm no /on/ backup) export later, I'm emerging glibc-2.4-r4
22 (which I have binpkged, thanks to FEATURES=buildpkg) over top of what I'm
23 now convinced is a bad glibc-2.5.
24
25 Sure enough, reboot back to my main/working image again, now with
26 glibc-2.4-r4 once again, and **NO MORE CRASHES!!**
27
28 So... kde-3.5.5 with -ftree-vectorize is back in the clear. The problem
29 is either glibc-2.5 itself, or -ftree-vectorize with it. I haven't
30 figured out which yet, but I thought I'd post this both as a heads-up to
31 others and a question to see if anyone else has run into similar issues.
32 I'll probably followup after I figure out which of those is the culprit or
33 if it's the combination.
34
35 Meanwhile a potentially useful trick to keep up your sleeve, just in case
36 you ever find yourself needing to downgrade glibc but the glibc ebuild
37 failing to let you do so. Reboot to your emergency image, be that a
38 LiveCD or a backup set of partitions on your hard drive, mount your normal
39 working filesystem image, set ROOT= to point portage at the normal system
40 (not the backup), and /then/ do your glibc downgrade. Then boot back to
41 your regular system and hope the downgrade works, as it did here. =8^)
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
49 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list