From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: unmerging slotted group packages
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:07:26
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> posted
2 200701291131.54208.bo.andresen@××××.dk, excerpted below, on Mon, 29 Jan
3 2007 11:31:46 +0100:
4
5 > I didn't really have the patience to read all the way through your post but
6 > this part does appear to be incorrect.
7 >
8 > The world file can only contain package names (neither slots nor versions) so
9 > removing kde-3.4 while keeping kde-3.5 is not going to change what's in the
10 > world file. If something in the world file depends on kdelibs-3.5 then
11 > `emerge --depclean` will not remove kdelibs-3.4 or any other old slots that
12 > really aren't needed anymore.
13 >
14 > Only --prune or --unmerge will do that and both of those currently have the
15 > downside that they don't check whether it's still needed (as in the case of
16 > autoconf, automake etc.). Implementing a safer --prune reusing some of the
17 > code from --depclean (which was improved a lot in portage-2.1.1) has been
18 > discussed in the past but it isn't done yet.
19
20 Thanks for the correction. While I knew that world doesn't contain slots
21 or versions, I thought (and believe it works that way in ~portage, but it
22 may not have reached stable yet, and I could be wrong) that unmerging the
23 metapackage would then release the dependency on the other stuff in that
24 slot. For KDE monolithics, for instance, I believe(d) that while
25 old kdelibs won't be unmerged immediately as it isdepended on by
26 kdebase which is depended on by (among others) kdegraphics, without the
27 old kde-3.4.x, kdegraphics-3.4.x would be trimmed by --depclean, and once
28 all the other kdewhatever-3.4.x packages had been trimmed, then
29 kdebase-3.4.x could be trimmed, and then kdelibs-3.4.x.
30
31 However, I'm using the split packages, not the monolithics, and don't have
32 kde-meta merged as I don't need all the split packages either. That makes
33 it harder to test. In addition, I unmerge old versions pretty quickly
34 once I've upgraded and found no critical non-working stuff (like say
35 konqueror or kmail, or anything having to do with the ability to run a KDE
36 desktop itself), keeping up with that system maintenance, so I've never
37 gotten to the point of having that much cruft to unmerge at once. Thus,
38 that part wasn't tested, and you (naturally) had to call me on it. =8^)
39 Still, genuinely, thanks, as if I'm not called on such things, I get lax,
40 and it's those I'm trying to help that get hurt, so I'd much rather get
41 called on my errors than not!
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
49 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list