From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Incipient hardware failure?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:02:25
1 I wrote:
2
3 >So on balance I think I won't pursue your suggestion, thanks all the same.
4 >
5 On the other hand, I've been playing with the script that Jani Averbach recommended in article 20050705155357.GA12533@×××××××.fi in this thread. First I tried it from the console, with no X, but it showed up no errors. Then I tried it from an x-term and got the same null result. Then I remembered I'd compiled swap out of the kernel and recompiled with it included. Still no errors.
6
7 I have my Linux partitions on the second disk, with a swap partition on the first to reduce latency. Running in /tmp in /dev/hdb9 (after expanding it to make space for all those copies of the kernel - 17 in my case with 2GB RAM) I watched the disk activity in gkrellm. I saw lots of activity on hdb but none at all on hda. so nothing is being swapped out. I'll try it soon with parallel instances to see if that will flush out some swap (while running in serial the disk activity is in flushing and re-reading file buffers), but in the meantime I get either segmentation or bus errors every time I compile anything. Well, actually, I kept trying to emerge --resume part-way through emerge -e world, which was failing on xorg-x11.
8
9 That makes me think again of your bad file left lying around, and wondering if my compiler is similarly affected, so I'm doing another emerge -e world at the moment to see if I can build a good tool chain. I fear it won't work, but it's got to 7 of 274 binutils so far.
10
11 Watch this space...
15 Rgds
16 Peter Humphrey