From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Heads Up On Kernel-2.6.31 and Alsa
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 03:51:03
1 After configuring and compiling the new Linux kernel 2.6.31, my
2 sound system and sound programs no longer functioned. I traced
3 this to one configuration variable under the Alsa sound devices:
4
5 SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS
6
7 This variable represents a new option for the Alsa OSS API, and
8 the default value seems to be "No." But I assumed that setting
9 it to "Yes" would not make much difference, but it certainly did.
10
11 I really don't know what this option is all about (unless one
12 religiously follows all the minutiae of kernel development, Linux
13 can be full of surprises.) The documentation says:
14
15 " If you disable this option, the ALSA's OSS PCM API will not
16 support conversion of channels, formats and rates. It will
17 behave like most of new OSS/Free drivers in 2.4/2.6 kernels."
18
19 So, apparently the improvement breaks all sound -- at least it
20 did for me.
21
22 If anyone has had a different experience, please report. The new
23 option doesn't seem too thrilling. I'd rather do all such conversions
24 using software in user space.
25
26 Frank Peters