From: "ducasse.isidore@×××××.com" <ducasse.isidore@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] building and installing 32bit python with amd64 portage without chroot
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:06:04
1 I'd like to test psyco with some massively-looped python code I use to run. Since psyco is x86-compatible only and depends on python, I assume I have to run a 32bit python.
2
3 I'd like to know how feasable it is to build and install such a python with my amd64 portage and multilib, without using a chroot.
4
5 After all, us amd64 users use to run 32bit firefox-bin or mplayer-bin without such a chroot. Unfortunately, there is no python-bin ebuild yet. Is it a sorcerer's duty to build it? Or rather, what sorcery skills are involved in doing such a thing?
6
7 I'm getting used to portage's neatness and flexibility about those concerns. Would crossdev be of any use?
8
9 I know cross-compiling issues are largely covered in many faqs and such, but it seems to me that this question is quite broad and not clearly answered by now. Forgive me if I'm wrong... and tell me!
10 --
11 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list