From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: arts
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:52:33
1 Benny Pedersen posted
2 <48612.80.166.75.19.1120990641.squirrel@×××××××××.org>, excerpted below,
3 on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:17:21 +0200:
4
5 > On Fri, July 8, 2005 11:21, Duncan wrote:
6 >
7 >> Expanding on what Zac said, ensure your user is in the audio group, and
8 >> that udev is set up to use that group for audio devices and that the mode
9 >> is 660.
10 >
11 > that was the pointer for me[3], i have disabled arts and enabled alsa olso
12 > in the kernel after that rebuild all that hasuse arts[1] in use settings,
13 > and last emerged all alså supporting tools[2], wonderfull it sound is
14 > again working on my asus sk8n
15
16 LOL! I've never used the usermod tool. I always simply edit the
17 /etc/group or /etc/passwd files directly (yes, I know about the possible
18 race conditions, but if I'm the only human user and I'm not in the middle
19 of an emerge or something else that might try to edit the files...). I'm
20 used to loading them to grab a quick look at what users are on what
21 groups, as well.
22
23 BTW, all you would have needed to do (and you still might want to, to
24 catch any other changes you may have missed) is run emerge --ask --newuse
25 --verbose (-aNv), and portage would have figured out what packages were
26 emerged with outdated flags and asked you if you wanted to remerge them.
27
28 The --newuse (-N) flag is one of the quite useful newer features in the
29 portage 2.0.51 series, so if you didn't know about it, take a look at the
30 emerge man page and note that flag for further reference.
31
32 >> Also, check your PAM settings, console.perms IIRC. Gentoo is moving away
33 >> from using the PAM console-perms module by default, because it causes
34 >
35 > will pam still be an problem for me now when the silence is dead here ?
36
37 It may not be, but it'a /always/ a useful thing to keep in the back of
38 your mind to check, if for some reason you appear to be having permission
39 problems, particularly if it seems to work sometimes and not others (altho
40 it's entirely possible you only see the "fail" condition, if you never
41 satisfy the conditions that would trigger "success" in your normal
42 routine), because PAM has a number of features that can be used to
43 dynamically control permissions. It's also useful to keep PAM in mind for
44 that dynamic permission control feature, just in case you sometime need to
45 control access to something by time of day, or some other such strange
46 thing.
47
48 (A caveat with the time of day thing -- there's a sort of bypass ability
49 if you don't set it up right, for those smart enough to figure it out, so
50 don't count on something like that to be 100% foolproof, at least not
51 without reading the PAM documentation, which explains the issue quite
52 well. It works well in the same fashion a padlock does, however. Most
53 padlocks are easily snipped in seconds with a bolt cutter, many easily
54 knocked open with just the right tap from a hammer, but they serve as an
55 indicator of intended lack of permission, and as they say, to "keep the
56 honest people honest", even if everyone knows they aren't really all that
57 secure if one's intent is to get at what they are "protecting".)
58
59 > using kernel 2.6.12 r4 now
60
61 Hmm... I haven't the foggiest what Gentoo's kernel ebuilds are like, as I
62 learned how to download and build my own kernel relatively quickly after
63 switching from MSWormOS (within 90 days), and had been doing it on
64 Mandrake for some time before switching to Gentoo, so saw no reason at all
65 to change that, so didn't.
66
67 > [1] equery hasuse arts
68 > [2] equery hasuse alsa
69 > emerge from the listning above
70 > [3] usermod -G audio myuser
75 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
76 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
80 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list