From: malc <mlashley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I disable PREMPT_RCU?
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:36:21
1 Hey Mark,
2
3 /usr/src/linux/init/Kconfig and kernel/Kconfig.preempt are the droids you
4 are looking for...
5
6 config PREEMPT_RCU
7 def_bool TREE_PREEMPT_RCU
8 help
9 This option enables preemptible-RCU code that is common between
10 the TREE_PREEMPT_RCU and TINY_PREEMPT_RCU implementations.
11
12 So you would want to /not/ pick one of those - however - looking further
13
14 choice
15 prompt "RCU Implementation"
16 default TREE_RCU
17
18 config TREE_RCU
19 bool "Tree-based hierarchical RCU"
20 depends on !PREEMPT && SMP
21 select IRQ_WORK
22 help
23 This option selects the RCU implementation that is
24 designed for very large SMP system with hundreds or
25 thousands of CPUs. It also scales down nicely to
26 smaller systems.
27
28 config TREE_PREEMPT_RCU
29 bool "Preemptible tree-based hierarchical RCU"
30 depends on PREEMPT
31 select IRQ_WORK
32 help
33 This option selects the RCU implementation that is
34 designed for very large SMP systems with hundreds or
35 thousands of CPUs, but for which real-time response
36 is also required. It also scales down nicely to
37 smaller systems.
38
39 Select this option if you are unsure.
40
41 config TINY_RCU
42 bool "UP-only small-memory-footprint RCU"
43 depends on !PREEMPT && !SMP
44 help
45 This option selects the RCU implementation that is
46 designed for UP systems from which real-time response
47 is not required. This option greatly reduces the
48 memory footprint of RCU.
49
50 endchoice
51
52 Seems you would want TREE_RCU (or TINY_RCU if you really have a UP system)
53 - but both of those depend on !PREEMPT... which is counter to what you were
54 asked.
55
56 In short - at least in 3.12.0 - I don't think what you've been asked for is
57 in fact possible - or I'm reading Kconfig wrongly (it's been a while)
58
59 Cheers,
60 malc.