From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: RAID1 boot - no bootable media found
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:03:23
1 On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Hope it helps...
5 >
6 > --
7 > Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
8
9 Immensely!
10
11 OK, a quick update and keeping it short for now:
12
13 1) I dumped the RAID install Sunday. It's new hardware and it wasn't
14 booting, I didn't know why but I do know how to install Gentoo without
15 RAID so I went for simple instead of what I wanted. That said the
16 machine still didn't boot. Same "no bootable media" message. After
17 scratching my head for an hour it dawned on me that maybe this BIOS
18 actually required /boot to be marked bootable. I changed that and the
19 non-RAID install booted and is running Gentoo at this time. This is
20 the only machine of 10 in this house that requires that but at least
21 it's a reasonable fix. The machine now runs XFCE & Gnome, X seems fine
22 so far, haven't messed with sound, etc., so the bootable flag was the
23 key this time around.
24
25 2) Even non-RAID I'm having some troubles with the machine. (kernel
26 bugs in dmesg) I've asked a question in the LKML and gotten one
27 response, as well as on the Linux-RAID list, but I'm not making much
28 headway there yet. I'll likely post something here today or tomorrow
29 in some other thread with a better title having to do with 100% waits
30 for long periods of time. Those are probably non-Gentoo so I am
31 hesitant to start a thread here and bother anyone but I suspect that
32 you or others will probably have some good ideas at least about what
33 to look at.
34
35 3) I LOVE your idea of managing 3 /boot partitions by hand instead of
36 using RAID. Easy to do, completely testable ahead of time. If I ensure
37 that every disk can boot then no matter what disk goes down the
38 machine still works, at least a little. Not that much work and even if
39 I don't do it for awhile it doesn't matter as I can do repairs without
40 a CD. (well....)
41
42 4) You're correct that the guide did md4 as striped. I forgot to say
43 that I didn't. I used RAID1 there also as my needs for this machine
44 are reliability not speed.
45
46 5) Last for now, I figured that once the machine was running non-RAID
47 I could always redo the RAID1 install from within Gentoo instead of
48 using the install CD. That's where I'm at now but not sure if I'll do
49 that yet due to the issue in #2.
50
51 As always, thanks very much for the detailed post. Lots of good stuff there!
52
53 Cheers,
54 Mark