From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: chrooted environment not available to users
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 02:26:11
1 Mark Knecht posted
2 <5bdc1c8b0512131611q4d0ae719x25e7955a59cff812@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:11:51 -0800:
4
5 > Duncan,
6 > Hi. I completely agree with your issues above. Unfortunately there
7 > are times, such as this one where we paid $thousands to take an
8 > in-depth investing class and we needed immediate computer capabilities
9 > or we'd have to bring Windows back up. That wasn't acceptable.
10
11 Agreed! =8^)
12
13 > Generally speaking, for the last few days, the only place I've been
14 > browsing is this one site where we're getting trained, as well as
15 > using GMail. I have a reasonable expectation that both of these sites
16 > are honest and would not knowingly do anything wrong. That doesn't
17 > mean there couldn't be a problem, but sometimes you have to take short
18 > term risks in order to move forward at an acceptable pace.
19
20 Agreed, altho I expect I'd be /very/ sure /before/ I paid that sort of
21 money for a class, that I had things set up suitably for it. Ideally, I
22 wouldn't take a class that said it required MSWormOS/IE, either, choosing
23 instead to purchase from a different supplier, but of course, reality
24 sometimes doesn't match ideals, and every person must choose where to draw
25 the line at compromise on their own. No condemnation from me on that!
26
27 > One thing I'm working on right now is a setup that would allow me
28 > to dual boot into the athlon-xp environment for testing purposes. I
29 > run a real-time development kernel from Ingo Molnar for my audio work.
30 > So far I cannot make it work as well as my older Athlon-xp machines so
31 > I'm going to boot into the chroot with it's own kernel to see if this
32 > is a 64-bit issue. But that's for later.
33
34 I recall your posts on the subject here, and have come across your
35 related comments in a couple other locations as well, so yes, I'm aware of
36 the issues you are experiencing in that area, and /wish/ there was
37 something I could do to help.
38
39 Incidentally, and of some surprise to me, when I switched to RAID
40 recently, the increase in performance and decrease in latency was
41 rather better than I expected. One reads all the time about the slowness
42 of disk access, but to see how reducing that with raid perceptibly
43 affected performance in areas I /would/ have considered unrelated...
44 Let's just say I've been fully satisfied and /very/ pleasantly surprised.
45
46 It might be worth some research, anyway, into whether the same effect
47 might be seen at the real-time-processing level necessary for serious
48 audio and multi-media work. It could be that RAID is a solution (or more
49 likely part of one) that isn't so widely known in the realm. I'm not that
50 seriously into real-time audio processing, but was rather favorably
51 impressed here, I know that!
52
53 > Question - Could /home be a separate partition that's visible
54 > (somehow) to both environments?
55
56 Yes. That is in fact what the bind-mount sort of stuff accomplishes. I
57 don't claim to have any more than a passing knowledge or experience in the
58 area, however, and haven't installed a 32-bit chroot here, so don't have
59 that specific experience either. However, for whatever reason, I /do/
60 seem to make better sense of just reading some of those things than some
61 have even after having done them, so I have a limited bit of knowledge in
62 the area.
63
64 >From the comments I have in my /etc/fstab:
65
66 # for mount --bind, --rbind, and --move
67 # Dev/Part MntPnt Type MntOpt D F
68 # /old/dir /new/dir none bind 0 0
69
70 That's based on chance comments I've seen, and the material found in the
71 mount manpage. Thus, read up there, paying particular attention to the
72 information on the --bind, --rbind, and --move parameters. I don't recall
73 the details of the differences at this point, and only had the hint in my
74 fstab comments to remind me where to look for more information, should I
75 decide I needed such a thing.
76
77 That said, after reading the mount manpage, you should have a better idea
78 of what the scripts/tarballs/whatever mentioned in this thread, are doing
79 with the bind --mount type stuff, and hopefully should be able to extend
80 it to create your own mount --bind stuff, such as doing it with /home, as
81 needed. You should then be able to choose the correct parameter of the
82 three for your intended usage, as necessary.
83
84 BTW, on your df listing earlier... perhaps what you want is the output of
85 the mount command, without any other parameters? Also note the existence
86 of /etc/mtab (maintained by mount, don't go hand editing but just looking
87 should be fine), and /proc/mounts. All three (the two files and the
88 output of mount with no parameters) list essentially the same thing, altho
89 the content of the two files may differ slightly. The df output can then
90 provide the info it was designed to provide -- disk-free information --
91 without having to rely on it for info it wasn't designed to provide -- an
92 accurate mappping of mountpoints.
93
94 Hopefully that's enough to get you started in the right directions. I
95 can't do more off the top of my head, without rereading the info myself,
96 and then would be basically repeating it, so you should be able to get the
97 same effect by reading it in the original, rather than having me repeat
98 it. =8^/
99
100 I should also mention the Gentoo amd64 32-bit chroot guide, which used to
101 be in the technotes but I believe has now moved. You've read it, right?
102 If not, I suggest you search the gentoo amd64 stuff and find it, as it's
103 quite helpful with the whole thing, and is what the tarball and etc you
104 are using is based on. Again, if I had actually done it myself, I'd be
105 able to provide my usual level of detail, but I've only read about it, so...
110 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
111 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
115 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list