From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] eth device vanished
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:17:18
1 On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 06:13:56 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> If you skip anything in this news item, your system will not be
7 >> bootable, or your networking will be down, or both.
8 >>
9 >> [snip]
10 >> [snip]
11 >> [snip]
12 >> [snip]
13 >> [snip]
14 >> [snip]
15 >> [snip]
18 > Whoa! I'm so glad I made the choice to not use that mess known as udev.
19 >
20 > -- and I hope I will always have that choice.
21 >
22 > Frank Peters
25 Ya know, personally I wish I'd never heard or seen or used udev. On
26 the other hand, I haven't had any real problems with any of the stuff
27 in that news flash. I'm still using eth0 and all my systems are still
28 booting & working. I am careful to only update 1/day so that if
29 something goes wrong I'll have others to work out what happened, but
30 amazingly none of what's quoted seems to have been required to keep
31 this machine running correctly. Then again, maybe today will be the
32 day! ;-)