From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can anyone help please - CD error
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:02:25
1 sean posted on Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:29:12 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > I recently installed KDE to try it out and KsCD does not work for me
4 > either. It always reports no CD.
5 > The optical drive works for every thing else I need it to do. I have not
6 > done any troubleshooting because I do not use the KsCD program.
7
8 There's a number of people with that issue, including me, both here and
9 on the kde lists. FWIW, "the application formerly known as kcontrol",
10 now wayyy too generically known as "systemsettings" to be practical, has
11 some settings that kscd should honor, including the device for audio CDs
12 (see under advanced user settings, audio CDs). However, I've not had
13 time to look into it and thus don't know if screwing with that would fix
14 it, or not. However, I think there's other bugs there as well, as
15 there's sure a lot of folks with the problem, for it to be simply a
16 misconfigured kcontrol setting.
17
18 I don't know if that's fixed for kde 4.4, now in beta with the release
19 scheduled for February (don't know when in February), or not, but there's
20 a significant number of other fixes, including, it is said, the one that
21 prevents me from using the kde graphical randr (display, size and
22 orientation) to manage my multiple displays, since it's missing the
23 critical "position" setting, here and apparently on many Radeon graphics
24 chip based systems. I'm predicting that it should finally bring kde4
25 into what I'd call release candidate status (with 4.5 comparable to most
26 projects' X.0 releases, the kde folks /claim/ that kde 4.2 was ready for
27 normal use... and maybe it was... for the devs they seem to be targeting
28 now, but DEFINITELY not for ordinary people using it for real work), so
29 I'm SERIOUSLY looking forward to it.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman