From: Christopher O'Neill <chris@××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] M6805 keyboard detection problem
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:41:38
1 On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Ashok Shah wrote:
2
3 > I have read quite a bit about the how bitchy eMachines M6805 laptop is. But
4 > hey, I got one of that before I read all those comments. I am trying to
5 > install Gentoo on my eMachines M6805 laptop. I have tried to install from
6 > "install-amd64-universal-2004.3-r1.iso", "install-amd64-minimal-2004.3.iso",
7 > and minimal version. I am giving the booting option pci=noacpi. It boots
8 > perfect, but when I get a prompt I don't have any keyboard working. My
9 > laptop keyboard doesnot work. I tried to connect USB keyboard, but that
10 > doesnot work either.
11
12 The 6805 has a buggy BIOS. eMachines haven't botherd to fix it (last time
13 I looked), but you can flash it with the BIOS from the 6809 and it will
14 work fine. The 6809 BIOS also resolves the acpi issues.
15
16 You should be able to find a copy of the 6809's BIOS with a bit of
17 googling, if not give me a shout and I'll retrieve mine. As a stop gap
18 you can try compiling the keyboard driver as a module - this seems to fix
19 it for some bizzar reason (although you won't get the mouse working
20 without editing some kernel code).
23 - Chris
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list