From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Now I have a problem with l32 too
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:09:40
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > So version 1.1.1 is a big improvement for me, but I'm still having
4 > some troubles:
5
6 Me too [/aol]
7
8 Now I get the expected `uname -m` result for root as well as for me, but I
9 can't run any X programs because the DISPLAY variable isn't set, thus:
10
11 prh@gentoo32 ~ $ xterm
12 xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
13 xterm: DISPLAY is not set
14
15 xhost doesn't help me either:
16
17 prh@wstn ~ $ xhost local:localhost
18 non-network local connections being added to access control list
19 prh@wstn ~ $ l32 bash
20 prh@gentoo32 ~ $ sh /usr/local/src/install-crossover-standard-5.0.0.sh
21 Verifying archive integrity...OK
22 Uncompressing CrossOver Office Standard
23 <snip>
24 The DISPLAY variable is not set. You cannot install this program from a
25 console. Run startx or xinit to start an X server first before running setup.
28 > 2) I'm still having to do the xhost thing to get it to work.
29
30 This is what I get when I try to run a program from an xterm:
31
32 prh@wstn ~ $ xhost local:localhost
33 non-network local connections being added to access control list
34 prh@wstn ~ $ l32 bash
35 prh@gentoo32 ~ $ sh /usr/local/src/install-crossover-standard-5.0.0.sh
36 Verifying archive integrity...OK
37 Uncompressing CrossOver Office
38 <snip>
39 The DISPLAY variable is not set. You cannot install this program from a
40 console. Run startx or xinit to start an X server first before running setup.
41
42 Or if I try putting all the commands on a single line (sorry about the
43 wrapping):
44
45 prh@wstn ~ $ xhost local:localhost && l32
46 /usr/local/src/install-crossover-standard-5.0.0.sh
47 non-network local connections being added to access control list
48 /bin/bash: /usr/local/src/install-crossover-standard-5.0.0.sh: Permission denied
49
50 Clearly, I still have much to learn.
51 --
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list