From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: initrd
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:39:01
1 Mark Knecht posted
2 <5bdc1c8b0510280754u28830e2bwa2b9fadba6b66a35@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:54:17 -0700:
4
5 > On 10/28/05, DR GM SEDDON <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >> Dear list,
7 >> I have just started using Gentoo and up-to-now am impressed. I have
8 >> generated a kernel using 'genkernel' and the kernel is in /boot.
9 >> However, I do not have 'initrd' but 'initramfs'. is this a problem or
10 >> should I modify grub appropriately?
11 >> Gavin.
12 >
13 > Possibly. I don't use an initrd at all and boot just fine, so it's
14 > possible that you can skip the whole issue if you want to.
15
16 initrd/initramfs isn't normally needed for boot sequences where the kernel
17 has the drivers required to mount / builtin. It's there, for cases such
18 as / on RAID, where some initial setup is required before the normal /
19 partition can be loaded.
20
21 Another case where initrd/initramfs is used, is for mainly binary
22 distributions, where all the various file system and disk drive interface
23 chipset drivers are compiled as kernel modules, rather than built-in.
24 Obviously, if a module needed to load / is stored in /lib/modules on the /
25 partition, it won't be reachable, thus an initrd (the old solution) or
26 initramfs (the newer one) is configured, containing the modules and
27 configuration needed to mount the normal /. (I say normal /, because an
28 initrd/initramfs functions as a temporary / file system while these things
29 are loaded, then a pivot_root is used to transfer to the normal /
30 partition, once it is mounted.)
31
32 Gentoo's genkernel creates an initrd/initramfs because it bases its
33 initial configuration on that of the liveCD, after the LiveCD has detected
34 your hardware and loaded the appropriate modules. The LiveCD uses an
35 initrd so it can load modules as necessary, and also so it can pivot-root
36 off of the read-only temporary CD root, to a read/write ramdisk root
37 created and loaded with the necessary goodies uncompressed off the CD.
38 Because genkernel bases its default setup on the one off the CD, it too
39 defaults to an initrd/initramfs, even tho most folks don't actually need
40 one, once they have a kernel with the drivers necessary to mount root
41 compiled in.
42
43 So, answering the original question, initramfs is the new version of
44 initrd, so no, you don't have to worry about it. However, chances are,
45 unless you are running your / on RAID or something similarly exotic, you
46 don't need an initramfs either, if you have at minimum, the drivers
47 necessary to mount your / filesystem, compiled directly into the kernel,
48 not as modules.
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
54 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
58 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list