From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Local network backup
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:31:43
1 Here's today's problem.
2
3 I have a firewall-cum-gateway box between my tiny LAN and the Internet. The
4 gateway runs constantly, while the internal boxes run when needed (they're my
5 laptop and workstation). I want to use some space on the gateway to store
6 backups of the other boxes, and I'd like the backup to run unattended at a
7 time when the others are likely to be running. This seems not to be possible
8 without security risks.
9
10 I've looked through all the Gentoo app-backup packages and found very few that
11 are suitable for use out of the box. Ssh figures in them all, which is a good
12 thing I suppose - except that I can't find a way to have ssh or scp run
13 unattended.
14
15 Take rsnapshot, for instance. This looks like just what I need: automation via
16 cron, history extending from hours to months, easy restoration and so on. It
17 uses rsync, which can run either natively, which I'm not sure is prudent over
18 the LAN, or over ssh. So in trying to set rsnapshot up to use ssh, and
19 following the admirable guide by Daniel Robbins, I find that in order to
20 avoid having to give a password every time a snapshot is taken, I have to
21 remain logged in as root. This is not a good idea on a firewall box.
22
23 So I seem to have a choice: (i) run my backups manually, (ii) run them without
24 ssh. You see my dilemma.
27 Rgds
28 Peter.
29 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93