From: "יובל האגר" <yuval@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin vs. firefox
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 06:09:00
1 ביום שישי 09 מרץ 2007, 12:07, נכתב על ידי Fabio A Correa:
2 > Hey Yuval,
3 >
4 > Yuval Hager wrote:
5 > > I have been using firefox-bin for historical reasons (flash plugin), but
6 > > then found out I could also use nspluginwrapper for that.
7 > > Then I installed firefox from source (a.k.a. Bon Echo), but found out it
8 > > behaved differently from firefox-bin:
9 >
10 > Maybe you will want to give it a try with USE="-bindist" so that the
11 > original Firefox branding is present. Do not forget to emerge --sync first!
14 I guess you meant USE="mozbranding", and yes, it solved the layering bug, but
15 not the fonts rendering issue.
16
17 > > 1) fonts look much uglier. Having the same settings (including
18 > > gtk-chtheme) gives different results, firefox-bin being preferable.
19 > > 2) Layering bug - at least at one site, I saw that content with a lower
20 > > z-index overlays content with higher z-index.
21 >
22 > You can also check bugs.mozilla.org for this bugs.
23 >
24 > > I couldn't find anything of help in the bugs.gentoo.org database nor the
25 > > changelog - can someone refer me to the relevant info on this?
26 > >
27 > > I would much like to work on my source compiled binaries, but it seems
28 > > inferior.. is it?
29 >
30 > It depends on several factors. For example, whether the amd64 XPCOM
31 > implementation is robust enough to render fonts or manage layering the same
32 > way than the x86 implementation. Not that XPCOM is the cause of the bugs
33 > you comment on.
34 >
35 > On the other hand, the Gentoo folks have written a number of patches to
36 > change mozilla-firefox behaviour; wou can note this, for a trivial example,
37 > when you have to hit Ctrl+Shift+W to close a window instead of Ctrl+W.
38 >
39 > Then a way to find the causes of those bugs is to emerge --fetch-all-uri
40 > mozilla-firefox, work on the sources and read the patches and the ebuild.
41 > Try patched and unpatched builds and check for the bugs. By the way, you
42 > cannot distribute your compiled modifications with the Firefox branding.
43 >
44 > You can also find build info on firefox on the Linux From Scratch website:
45 > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/xsoft/firefox.html
48 Thanks for the info.
49
50 --yuval