From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Change Install Prefix
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:07:46
1 Is there a way, aside from writing a custom ebuild script, of changing
2 the install prefix for a package? What I want to do is install some
3 packages under /usr/local or /opt rather than the default of /usr.
4 Unless I am mistaken, there does not seem to be a way of doing this
5 with either portage variables or with portage profiles.
6
7 Using the ROOT variable is not feasible because the resulting
8 emerge will create an independent tree of packages. I just want
9 to shift some packages out of /usr without losing any dependency
10 or linking information.
11
12 Linux is a flexible system in that it will allow libraries, include
13 files, and configure information to be stored in a variety of places
14 without losing any interaction. Modification of PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
15 CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and other variables as well as the /etc/ld.so.conf
16 file will keep a system integrated no matter where things are stored.
17 Yet, unless I am missing something, Gentoo does not seem to embody this
18 same flexibility, at least not in a simple manner. All packages have
19 to go under /usr only.
20
21 Is this actually the case or is there a way to change the installation
22 prefix?
23
24 Frank Peters