From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] multicore strange issue
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:37:15
1 On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 15:15 +0000, Beso wrote:
2 > 2008/6/3 Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>:
5 > On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 09:01 +0000, Beso wrote:
6 > > hi,
7 > >
8 > > i've got a strange problem with my new notebook pc. i've
9 > bought a pc
10 > > with an amd athlon 64 x2 processor with 2 cores, an atheros
11 > board and
12 > > an rs690 ati.
13 > > my old pc was a turion 64 with an atheros board and an
14 > rs480. now the
15 > > components inside are all about the same so i've just copied
16 > the old
17 > > gentoo system into the new pc and tried to recompile the
18 > kernel to
19 > > have it tuned for the new processor. so the thing i've done
20 > was to
21 > > activate the symetric multiprocessing and set to compiled
22 > into the
23 > > kernel of md4, md5, md6 and aes x86_64 chipers for a
24 > luks /home
25 > > chipering.
26 > > the problem is that with the old normal config the kernel
27 > detects one
28 > > processor and one core and it works, loading the modules,
29 > but when
30 > > enabling simetric multiprocessing the kernel detects just
31 > one
32 > > processor and one core and then it fails to load modules
33 > because of a
34 > > different executable format in the modules.
35 > >
36 > > the strange thing is that opensuse livecd and mandriva live
37 > cd
38 > > recognize the double processor (/proc/cpuinfo has 2 lines)
39 > and is able
40 > > to step it in the right way. does anyone has a hint on what
41 > to control
42 > > in the kernel config to see what's wrong?!
43 > >
44 > > thanks.
45 > >
46 > > --
47 > > dott. ing. beso
48 >
49 > If the attempt to boot does not end in a kernel panic;
50 > use <shift-page up> to get to the top of the console output
51 > produced
52 > during boot. If the boot loader has started an SMP kernel, a
53 > line
54 > similar to this: "Linux Version 2.6.24-gentoo-r8 (root@livecd)
55 > (gcc
56 > version 4.1.1 (gentoo 4.1.1-r3)) #1 SMP Sat May 24 14:06:10
57 > EDT 2008"
58 > should appear. The key word being SMP. No key word, "SMP",
59 > means that
60 > "make menuconfig" (or whatever kernel configuration tool you
61 > use needs
62 > to be redone.
63 > As far as I know under, Processor type and features,:
64 > [*] Symmetric multi-processing support
65 > Subarchitecture Type (PC-compatible) --->
66 > Processor family (Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8) --->
67 > produces an appropriate SMP kernel.
68 > A <shift-page down> should reveal a line like:
69 > CPU has two num_cores
70 > A couple more <shift-page down>:
71 > Initializing CPU#0
72 > About 3 more <shift-page down>:
73 > Brought up 2 CPU's.
74 > About modules, I'm guessing modules compiled for single cpu
75 > have
76 > differences from those compiled for multiple cpu. Also
77 > guessing
78 > that /etc/modules/autoload.d and/or udev is trying to load
79 > single cpu
80 > module(s) that were not written to adjust to a single cpu
81 > kernel.
82 >
83 > so grub needs a different line at startup when using multicor
84
85 I had assumed you had established a multiboot grub with one entry
86 pointed to the old kernel and another entry pointed to a newly compiled
87 SMP kernel.
94 > --
95 > dott. ing. beso
98 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list