From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Quick rsync backup before changing a RAID
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:35:57
1 On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Is 'using ACLs' one of those things that if you don't know then you
5 >> are not? I just run basic Gentoo here. All installs done as per the
6 >> install guide. I don't even use LVM or anything fancy. (Which is
7 >> likely part of why I'm having to reconfigure as much as I am but so be
8 >> it.)
9 >
10 > Gentoo can potentially make use of them if you're using POSIX
11 > capabilities, but I think that has to be enabled by USE flag or
12 > FEATURE. I think you might also have to enable them in fstab (and the
13 > kernel as well, though that is likely enabled by default). Chances
14 > are you'd know if you were using them, and it would only apply to
15 > stuff installed by portage (generally binaries). Oh, and using POSIX
16 > capabilities is a good thing (less suid root binaries).
17 >
18 > One thing to mention - I'm not sure how much data you're talking
19 > about, but if it is a lot and downtime is a concern you could probably
20 > get creative and avoid some copying. You could copy the files onto an
21 > LVM vg, and then after your RAID is set up you could move the logical
22 > volume onto your RAID, which is an online operation. (Ie set up your
23 > USB drive as LVM, copy the files over, adjust your mounts so that the
24 > USB drive is mounted where you want the files, and at this point
25 > they're in production. Then get your RAID set up, add it to the
26 > volume group, and pvmove the USB drive so that it gets moved to your
27 > RAID. Then remove the USB drive from your volume group and you're in
28 > the final config, with no further need to adjust mountpoints since
29 > they're already pointed to LVM.) I've done a lot of messing around
30 > with online migrations of RAID and LVM - quite handy when you have
31 > lots of stuff like mythtv recordings that you don't want to have
32 > offline backups of.
33 >
34 > Rich
37 Interesting info Rich. Thanks.
38
39 Approximately 250GB involved. Not worried about downtime. The data is
40 all Windows VMs which I use for stock & futures trading. Only need the
41 machine back up by tomorrow morning.
42
43 Also, I've never used LVM so for an afternoon project it's unlikely
44 I'd be successful going that direction I think. The second USB backup
45 drive is about 50% done so I should be able to start working on
46 reconfiguring the RAID in about an hour and hopefully be back up and
47 running by 5PM if things go well.
48
49 Cheers,
50 Mark