From: gentoo@××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: CD drive opening on boot!!
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:50:45
1 Thanks for your reply Duncan,
2 <snip>
3
4 After re-emerging hal udev dbus pmount I still had no notification pop-up.
5 Looking harder at this problem, I have identified 2 issues and rectified them.
6 1. The dvd drives were not acpi compatible, so I have changed them and now the
7 tray stays closed.
8 2. I have deleted .kde4 and reloaded kde, When I originally installed kde4 I
9 copied the original .kde3 directory and renamed it .kde4 I now have kde
10 running properly and if I insert a usb disc or insert a cd I now get the
11 notification pop-up with the options. So far so good. However, alsaplayer and
12 kscd are still not working. I also have problems playing dvds in kmplayer or
13 xine, the picture keeps breaking up.
14 >
15 > But we don't know whether it's hal or kde, now, or possibly dbus (oh, and
16 > do you have policykit installed and the USE flag enabled, that's another
17 > possibility...).
18 <snip> I do not have policy kit installed
19 I do not have fstab entries for the dvd devices.
20
21 > Something else you might consider, tho it's not urgent and AFAIK is
22 > unrelated to this, but who knows? /dev/hd? indicates that you're still
23 > using the old kernel ide drivers. Those are now officially deprecated,
24 > with the newer libata SATA/PATA drivers the encouraged replacement (yes,
25 > even tho the config still says pata's experimental). They'll use sd?
26 > notation instead of the older hd? notation, so then you'll not have any
27 > hd? devices at all. Unless you /know/ that you don't have libata support
28 > for your old ide/pata chipset, I'd strongly encourage you to consider
29 > switching... at your leisure, tho.
30 I have now switch off the old pata drivers and have noticed that my hard disks
31 are now sga sgb etc. I now use kernel 2.6.31
32 <snip>
33 I have been running a amd64 system with a lot of packages that are marked
34 ~amd64.
35 So I have decided to go to a full blow ~amd64 system in the hope that my
36 remaining problems will be resolved.
37
38 Thanks for your time, I'll let you know how things go after the 400 packages to
39 be built.
40 Paul