From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] provide net
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:19:11
1 > Or maybe its should be left to the app. adding RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING would
2 > have other consequences. One size does not fit all here. If net.lo is the
3 > only thing that satisfies net on a given system and the process doesnt have a
4 > problem attaching to that (as I just verified with both sshd and apache2),
5 > then let it be.
6
7 A distribution is made for groups of users, not you specifically.
8 Personally, I prefer having it the way it is so that if I boot my laptop
9 and it cannot connect to a network it doesn't spend ages starting various
10 network services like sshd, apache2, openvpn, etc.
11
12 If a particular application has a problem with net.lo, you could force a
13 dependency on a particular net service instead of just net by modifying
14 the init files, or using multiple run levels. Personally, I do not know of
15 any network service that has a problem in having just net.lo available.
16
17 I use the RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING to prevent a bunch of services from
18 starting up on my laptop if it cannot find a wifi or ethernet connection.
19
20 > What if you have apache setup SPECIFICALLY to attach to 127.0.0.1 so as to not
21 > be publicly accessible? I've done this numerous times in the past for
22 > various reasons.
23 >
24 > If it fails at init, it would be logical to check the logfile for the app and
25 > you'd quickly know what was wrong instead of having to mail a list.
26
27 How is that logical ?
28
29 First you have to check if the service attempted to start.
30 Then, upon proper interpretation of failures, you should check the
31 relevant log file.
32
33 Regarding network interfaces, apache will fail if it cannot bind to
34 a specific IP if and only if it is the only ip it is set to bind to.
35
36 The init scripts will not start a service if the dependencies are not
37 satisfied in the first place.
38
39 Also it usually is better to mail a list more specific to your needs as
40 this is not an amd64 issue, after checking the documentation.
41
42 > Sorry to go off on this, but things have been changing in the last few months
43 > in ways illogical to me. I've been running gentoo since pre 1.0 days and
44 > this has greatly concerned me lately.
45 >
46 > Every distro has it's quirks and funny ways of doing things, but the list
47 > seems to be growing with gentoo for no good reason.
48
49 Distributions always evolve. No one is pointing a gun to your head to use
50 Gentoo.
51 --
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list