From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Weird net routing
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:59:00
This may not be amd64-specific, in which case I apologise, but I'm having
problems commissioning a wireless network. I've connected a wireless access
point to a second NIC on this box and given them both new network addresses.
Both eth0 and eth1 are up and I can ping the WAP, but I cannot connect to
its Web server because all HTTP traffic goes down the wrong wire.

I have:

# cat /etc/conf.d/net
config_eth0=( " netmask broadcast" )
config_eth1=( " netmask broadcast" )
routes_eth0=( "default via" )

# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface   U     0      0        0 eth0   U     0      0        0 eth1       U     0      0        0 lo         UG    0      0        0 eth0

wstn ~ # grep 133 /etc/hosts   wstn.wlan wstn.home  spirit.wlan spirit netgear.wlan netgear

(netgear is the WAP and spirit is a laptop the other side of it.)

# traceroute netgear
traceroute to netgear.wlan (, 30 hops max, 46 byte packets
  1  netgear.wlan (  0.548 ms  0.368 ms  0.366 ms

# links http://netgear
Times out and the WAP LEDs don't flicker. The same happens when I'm not
root, and when I specify '' instead of 'netgear'. If I run
tcpdump on eth0 and eth1 I see the HTTP traffic going down the wrong interface.

I've tried unsetting http_proxy, even setting it to a bogus,
but that makes no difference. 'grep -r proxy /etc' reveals nothing once I've
taken http_proxy out of /etc/profile. 'env | grep proxy' also shows nothing.

Why is HTTP traffic going the wrong way? It's taking the default route
instead of the specific one it should know about. Bizarrely, Win XP on the
same box has no trouble so I know the hardware is fine.