From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: real multilib support
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 02:06:54
1 "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o> posted
2 20070327145343.76dd4df8@×××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Tue,
3 27 Mar 2007 14:53:43 +0200:
4
5 > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:08:26 +0200
6 > Thomas Rösner <Thomas.Roesner@××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
7 >
8 >> My -dev archives are too young it seems, and google spits out much
9 >> unrelated stuff.
10 >
11 > http://archives.gentoo.org
12
13 The immediate reference was to the PMS draft announcement on dev, which
14 as I said is less than a week old, so unless someone is /just/
15 subscribing to dev now, the "too young" reference shouldn't apply to it
16 specifically. However, there's a long and politicized history on portage
17 features and portage alternatives going back some years and involving by
18 dragging them in virtually any of the huge threads (say more than 50 or
19 100 posts) going back years... to early 2004 I think at least, that being
20 when I got involved with Gentoo, and probably earlier. Thus, the history
21 is there for anyone wanting to trace the how and why of where we are
22 today thru the various events and controversies leading to it.
23
24 As for archives, in addition to the official Gentoo archive linked above,
25 there's the gmane.org list archive, with both web and news interface
26 options. All the mailing lists I participate in (this one included) are
27 done using pan (my preferred NNTP client), thru the news interface and
28 list2news gateway at news.gmane.org. It doesn't expire posts, so it's
29 possible to subscribe to a "group" there, and pull headers back to at
30 least the time the list was added to gmane (and often earlier, clear back
31 to list inception, if there's some archive of posts they can be imported
32 from). If one desires, one can then search this list of posts as
33 downloaded from gmane, with any of the conventional local file search
34 tools.
35
36 http://gmane.org , for more information on it and a list of lists carried.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list