From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: No LibX11 Libtool Archive Installed
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 01:25:52
1 On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 00:08:58 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > FWIW, I've been using a PKG_INSTALL_MASK="*.la" setting here in my
6 > make.conf for some time, now. That keeps portage from installing the
7 > files entirely.
10 That's a good suggestion, but there is one minor problem remaining.
11
12 Although I rely on portage to do all the "heavy lifting" for me, there
13 is a small number of packages that I, for various reasons, still want
14 to install myself -- and I'm sure there are lots of others that do this
15 as well. These self-installed packages will often insert .la files into
16 the tree, and, in fact, I believe that this kind of condition had caused
17 my original ".la file not found" problem.
18
19 So the .la issue is definitely something for everyone to keep in mind,
20 and especially for those who may self-install an occasional extra package.
21
22 Frank Peters