From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: baselayout-1.11.13 and sata problem
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:26:22
Paolo Ripamonti posted <40bdd4fd050720035660b8ad49@××××××××××.com>,
excerpted below,  on Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:56:29 +0200:

> just updated my amd64 box to baselayout 1.11.3 When I boot I get an error > "missing /dev/sda1" while running /etc/init.d/checkfs. > If I wait some 5 seconds and then hit Ctrl+D all works fine, more if I > enter maintenance mode and checkout, well... /dev/sda1 is stading there! > I've found a little workaround adding a sleep 5 just before ebegin > "Checking filesystem" in /etc/init.d/checkfs Any idea about it?
This is due to a race condition with udev, I believe. What udev you running? Here, I'm still running PATA drives, so can't confirm SATA behavior. I'm running ~amd64, however, so am up to baselayout-1.11.13 and udev-063. udev's changelog mentions something about fixing this sort of bug, IIRC, which is why I know it's a udev race condition of some sort, that should (I believe) be fixed with the latest udev. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: baselayout-1.11.13 and sata problem Paolo Ripamonti <paolo.ripamonti@×××××.com>