From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:19:06
1 Mark Haney wrote:
2 > Is there another way to use nice, or to fix that problem? Or another
3 > way to manage CPU usage during an emerge?
6 I'll just echo what Duncan said about nice / ionice. However, you might
7 find the impact of ionice -c 3 on compilation is reduced if you use a
8 tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage. Note that depending on what you're building
9 you might need a fairly large tmpfs, and it could trigger swapping.
10
11 Note also that all your settings for niceness/etc won't impact RAM
12 consumption - even a niced emerge is going to eat RAM when building some
13 of the more massive packages.
14
15 However, I find that I can run almost anything with ionice -c 3 nice -n
16 20 <command> and have almost no impact on my system at all. Conversely,
17 I set stuff like the mythtv backend to run with ionice -c 1 so that I
18 never drop frames due to recording buffer issues.
19
20 Just don't go crazy with it. If I try to build two copies of firefox
21 (chroot and main) while running some java app that consumes 1GB of
22 virtual address space, and then try to transcode a video or something
23 while recording two videos, having all that stuff set to ionice/nice
24 won't be of much help.