From: "Sebastian Beßler" <sebastian@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:57:58
1 Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:
4 >> 2) Crashes: kde 4.3 crashes way to often, sometimes it even brings X to
5 >> its knees. Kde 3.5.10 is solid as a rock.
6 >
7 > I had never seen a 'bring down X' crash. There have been some konqueror
8 > crashes in the past - but the same is true for 3.5. Compared with 3.2 or 3.4
9 > 4.3 is a lot more stable (for me).
10
11 Ok, maybe its because I started with kde 3.5 a few years ago but kde was
12 never so unstable as with
13
14 >> 3) Screen-setup: I have to monitores connected to my pc static in xorg
15 >> as two seperated displays :0.0 and :0.1. If I start kde <4.4-svn I have
16 >> both screens on my main monitor and the second is just as good as dead.
17
18 > ok, sounds like a genuine stupid bug. Can't even fixed with krandrtray?
19
20 No, because I can't use randr as randr doesn't supports my setup at all.
21 I had to deactivate randr-support in catalyst-drivers to get it working.
22 With randr only stupid bigscreen is possible. This is the reason why I
23 still stick with the closed driver, the open ones only support xrandr.
24
25 > but you know that you can make the plasma bar very small - and add a couple of
26 > them to the desktop?
27
28 Yes I know. But then many things aren't useable anymore because scaling
29 of the icons freaks out here if it gets to small.
30
31 > I haven't found anything missing in k3b or amarok - and I don't use kdevelop
32 > or kvirc. What are you missing from k3b?
33
34 k3b is one of the programms that is rather complete but still in late
35 alpha state. Even the ebuild has alpha in its name. And amarok is
36 missing so much.
37
38 1) the collection-scanner is broken. Only approx. 400 songs are added to
39 the collection. I have over 10000 songs on my pc.
40
41 2) Support for generic mp3-players doesn't exist or needs workarounds
42 (in live-builds atm)
43
44 3) Not really a mising feature but amarok 2 looks like crap. I like the
45 way 1.4 looks and hate that amarok 2 forces me to learn everything new.
46 But forcing users to learn new ways to do old things its all that is
47 kde4. I hate it if i get forced to do something.
48
49 >> The last reason I stick with kde 3.5.10 for a while is that working with
50 >> kde 4.x just doesn't feel right. Switching to kde4 is like switching to
51 >> a completly different DE. KDE 4 isn't kde anymore, it is something
52 >> absolutly different that calls itself kde.
53 >
54 > people said the same when going from 1.1 to 2.0 and 2.2 to 3.0....
55
56 Maybe because people like it the way it is. I switched to linux because
57 I really like the freedom to choose what I want to do with my computer.
58 But more and more linux becomes like windows in the way that it forces
59 the user to adapt to the system. Yes I can switch the DE if i dislike
60 kde4 but in a few month or maybe a year there is no way around randr and
61 then I have to stick with old kernel, old driver and old X or be forced
62 to adapt to the way some people think whats best for all of us.