From: Kyle Liddell <kyle@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] xorg Dual-Head Layout with nv-Driver?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:41:32
On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 08:40 +0200, Marcel Treis wrote:
> I do use the following Software: > *media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r4 (i think i tried other versions too) > *sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r11
I'm using nvidia-kernel 1.0.7667, xorg 6.8.2-r2 and gentoo-sources 2.6.12-gentoo-r4 (~amd64 as you can see) I've always run unstable on here so I don't know if that is exactly the problem, but I would give the latest drivers a try.
> Following my Hardware: > *A64 2800 > *MSI K8N Neo (nForce 3 250Gb) > *MSI FX5900-ZT > *Zalman 400W PSU > Both video card and CPU have a Zalman AlCu on Top.
Doesn't seem like your PSU is too weak then.
> I do have "Side Band Adressing" enabled, "Fast Writes" is disabled.
You might give things a try with SBA off too...however, if you ever do get a working setup I would see if you can turn those back on. If you don't do much 3d stuff it won't matter, but in good old UT classic my framerates doubled when I enabled Fast Writes.
> > The only time I have any problems is when I enable the "EXPERIMENTAL! > > USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!" XRender hardware acceleration. > > Where would that option be, just so i can check? (Though i do not think > i would have activated some option like that *g*)
That's the RenderAccel option that you said you've disabled. There's also AllowGLXWithComposite that makes RenderAccel even more unstable, but I didn't see that in your config file. I would definitely give the latest drivers a try. Oh also, you might try the different AGPGART options (whether to use the kernel supplied driver or the nvidia supplied driver). Again, I've never had a problem with the nvidia drivers unless I use the XComposite extensions. (Actually I can enable RenderAccel and load the XComposite extension with no problems, but as soon as I run "xcompmgr" it seems to start a 2-3 hour countdown timer until X goes to 100%cpu, xcompmgr eats all my memory, and then X crashes). One thing: in your original mail you said that your "machine crashes". What exactly do you mean? X crashes and goes back to the console? X locks up, but can use machine remotely? System locks up/crashes/reboots? If just X dies I'd say you just need to keep kicking around drivers and options, but if your system locks up/crashes I'd still look into something involving hardware...maybe run nvidia-settings while you try to crash the system and see if the GPU temp gets too high, etc etc. (What are your CPU/system/GPU temps during idle and compile anyway (if disabling RenderAccel didn't fix the problem)). Kyle -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] xorg Dual-Head Layout with nv-Driver? Marcel Treis <trei4702@×××××××××.de>