From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Alsa Config keeps disappearing
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:36:37
1 sean <tech.junk@×××××××××××.net> posted 4A4B858E.6050202@×××××××××××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 01 Jul 2009 11:49:34 -0400:
3
4 >> So you're saying that it only happens as a regular user?
5 > No, it happens exactly the same even if logged in as root. I just
6 > restarted and tested.
7
8 Well, that shoots down the bad permissions theory, upon which most of the
9 rest of the post was based. But maybe we can salvage something from it...
10
11 > Mine before running alsaconf
12 >
13 > ls -l /dev/snd
14 > total 0
15 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 2009-07-01 07:35 controlC0
16 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 2009-07-01 07:35 controlC1
17 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 2009-07-01 07:35 pcmC0D0c
18 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 2009-07-01 07:35 pcmC1D0c
19 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 2009-07-01 07:35 pcmC1D0p
20 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 2009-07-01 07:35 pcmC1D1c
21 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 2009-07-01 07:35 seq
22 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 2009-07-01 07:35 timer
23 >
24 > Mine after running alsaconf
25 > ls -l /dev/snd
26 > total 0
27 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 2009-07-01 11:39 controlC0
28 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 2009-07-01 11:39 pcmC0D0c
29 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 2009-07-01 11:39 pcmC0D0p
30 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 2009-07-01 11:39 pcmC0D1c
31 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 2009-07-01 11:39 seq
32 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 2009-07-01 11:39 timer
33 >
34 > There is some differences. Less entries, and notice the time. I had just
35 > restarted the system to cause the problem. I did each command just a few
36 > minutes apart, the first one however shows a morning time, this is when
37 > it does not work, and the second shows the correct time, after running
38 > alsaconf and it is working. I am not sure what to make of it yet.
39
40 You had /just/ restarted the system... so that morning time is from
41 BEFORE you restarted??
42
43 Hmm... Maybe it's running the alsa service before clock. Do you happen
44 to be running the system hardware clock (BIOS) at OTHER than UTC, at,
45 say, EDT, which is four hours different? That would explain the time
46 difference, yielding a couple minute interval between the two runs.
47
48 That's... interesting... and I'd probably look at reordering the services
49 so clock starts first and doesn't give you the time difference there, but
50 I don't /think/ it should have anything to do with the alsa problem we're
51 dealing with.
52
53 Meanwhile, the differing number of entries does reinforce my idea that
54 there's something wrong with the drivers, tho apparently not the modules,
55 per se, but with how they're configured at boot vs after you run
56 alsaconf. I'll have to look at the alsaconf script a bit, and compare it
57 to the alsa service, to see if I can figure out what's missing at boot.
58 But I'm getting sleepy now, as this is normally the time I go to bed. (US/
59 AZ but I sleep days.) So I'll have to look at it again later.
60
61 Meanwhile, if anyone else wants a go, have at it! =:^)
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman