From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please suggest settings and flags in /etc/make.conf?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:54:14
1 On 01/22/10 16:26, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday 22 January 2010 03:05:55 Lie Ryan wrote:
3 >> On 01/22/10 11:44, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >
5 >>> # These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is
6 >>> provided by the # profile used for building.
7 >>> USE="mmx sse sse2"
8 >>
9 >> No one size fits all, only you can decide the best USE flags combination
10 >> for your use. You probably wouldn't know the USE flags to use until you
11 >> emerged some programs. Before emerging, look at the USE flags and decide
12 >> whether you will need the feature activated by the flag, and whether you
13 >> want to activate the USE flags globally (add here) or locally for the
14 >> specific package (in /etc/portage/package.use).
15 >
16 >>> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
17 >>> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
18 >>> syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
19 >>> xtopology nonstop_tsc pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
20 >>> ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 aes lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi
21 >>> flexpriority ept vpid
22 >
23 > What I did recently is to go through the list of CPU flags one by one and
24 > check which of them had corresponding USE flags; I set those in make.conf on
25 > the assumption that, if the processor had that feature, I might as well let
26 > it use it.
29 I can tell you that's actually a lot of work. A certain technology may
30 be called differently in the CPU flags and in USE flags; and often even
31 after activating the USE flags, you may still need to find the feature
32 in kernel config. I always wished there is a website that listed the CPU
33 flags with the relevant kernel config and/or USE flags.