From: scotthathcock@×××××××.net
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading to Raid
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 03:48:10
I currently have an ASUS K8V Deluxe system with an 80GB SATA drive. It
used to have a old 10GB PATA disk for M$ dual boot. That disk died and
was interfering with boot, so it's in the trash.

The dead disk reminded me of the pain I will suffer if I loose my linux
system. Even with backups of my home dir, which I'm not as good about as
I should be, a full fresh install would be a pain. Thus, I am
considering Raid.

Does anyone have experience with RAID on this Board?
Is the Via or Promise controller better for this?
Is there a good Howto on migrating from a non Raid disk to Raid? I
recall seeing one but can't find it now.
Am I wasting time and money? Should I just do a better job of backup? Is
there a resource on what to backup to allow a fast regeneration (or
duplication) of an existing gentoo system?

Finally, thanks for the great distribution. I use a commercial distro at
work and I am much happier with Gentoo. :)