From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] clone system
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:48:32
1 I have two amd64 boxes, one is athlon64 5600 dual core, AMD chipset,
2 'radeonhd' video driver, the other is an older athlon64 3000+ single
3 core, VIA chipset, 'radeon' video driver. I installed the VIA-based by
4 just copying the whole / directory from the AMD-based, with custom-built
5 kernel, and rebuilding the xserver.
6
7 In the future I'd like to do the 'emerge -uDV world' compilation only on
8 the dual core.
9
10 Is there a way to keep the older system up-to-date without compiling on
11 it anything except the kernel and the xserver, e.g. by copying the
12 updated files over the network? I know I could set up distcc and let the
13 single-core do the linking only, I was wondering if there is an even
14 quicker method like network copy of pre-compiled binaries.
15
16 raffaele