From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: KDE 3.5.2-r1 emerged Issue!
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:14:00
1 Hamish Marson <hamish@××××××××××××××.com> posted
2 447302C1.9040606@××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Tue, 23 May 2006
3 13:40:33 +0100:
4
5 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 >> On Friday 12 May 2006 19:16, Duncan wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> You hit the infamous libexpat bug!
9 >>
10 >> I did too, and after several attempts to get revdep-rebuild to fix
11 >> the problem I gave up and reinstalled from scratch. Now I can't get
12 >> arts to run - it gobbles 95% CPU from when I log in to when artsd
13 >> gets killed on a cpu overload. I've raised a bug on this.
14 >>
15 > Infamous expat bug? Would this be where you update libexpat because
16 > something wants the later verison & then everythig fails because it
17 > can't find libexpat.0?
18 >
19 > Grr... I hit that last night... I'm still running an emerge -D world
20 > to re-install everything (Since revdep-rebuild failed for me).
21
22 That would be the one! =8^(
23
24 Too late for you now, but the revdep-rebuild issue is probably the known
25 (and resolved in ~arch) issue where it doesn't properly scan certain dirs
26 including /usr/kde/* due to an issue with a double // in a path. Adding
27 gentoolkit to your package.keywords file set to ~amd64 would have likely
28 fixed the issue.
29
30 However, it'd still likely rebuild a good half your system anyway --
31 libexpat is a very popular dependency -- so if one hasn't done it in
32 awhile, it's probably a good idea to run an emerge --emptytree anyway.
33
34 Tip: After you get done, don't forget to do an emerge --pretend
35 --depclean, check the list for stuff you know you need, adding it to your
36 world file as necessary, then either unmerge the remaining items manually
37 (my method, more control), or run the command without the --pretend.
38 This will clean up all the old no-longer-needed dependencies. By
39 itself, portage is pretty good about merging dependencies when needed,
40 but it doesn't always unmerge them when no longer needed, until you run
41 emerge --depclean to get rid of the cruft. Of course, the risk is that it
42 cleans up something that's needed, due to it either not being in your
43 world file for some reason, or to changes in USE flags without running a
44 corresponding emerge --newuse, but as the warning states, you can
45 normally cure that sort of issue by just remerging as necessary. (This is
46 another place FEATURES=buildpkg comes in handy, if you mistakenly unmerge
47 something you need, since you can quickly remerge it from the binpkg you
48 created on initial merge using --packageonly.)
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
58 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list