From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Upgrading glibc and glib
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 14:46:13
1 2009/4/6 Zhu Sha Zang <zhushazang@×××××××××.br>:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Duncan escreveu:
6 >> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> posted
7 >> 200904060814.07832.volkerarmin@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on  Mon,
8 >> 06 Apr 2009 08:14:07 +0200:
9 >>
10 >>> we are on the same side this time ;)
11 >>
12 >> =:^)
13 >>
14 >>> I love it. [FEATURES=buildpkg] is the feature with worst usefullness
15 >>> /advertisement rate.
16 >>
17 >> I don't believe I've seen it put quite that way before, but it does get
18 >> the point across rather effectively, I think because one doesn't expect
19 >> to see "worst" used in the context of a /good/ thing (just poorly
20 >> advertised).  I may just have to borrow it! =:^)
21 >>
22 >>> I can wholeheartedly recommend it. If you have some free space,
23 >>> turn it on. There are no drawbacks, and a LOT of cases where
24 >>> it might be usefull. Inclusive 'install an almost identical
25 >>> gentoo fast' or 'help friend with hosed installation' added to your
26 >>> list above.
27 >>
28 >>> There should be a section in the handbook named
29 >>> 'buildpkg - enable it if you can'.
30 >>
31 >> I separated out that last sentence for emphasis, as it's just the plain
32 >> truth.  Too bad there isn't such a section.
33 >>
34 >> Hmm... I don't claim to be a coder, but I /have/ been told a few times I
35 >> should think about joining the docs team, and given that in the FLOSS
36 >> world, "There should be" is an invitation to make it so...  Maybe I
37 >> should ask around and see what some of the docs/handbook devs think of
38 >> the idea of me doing a writeup for it.
39 >>
40 > I've some issues with this upgrade.
41 >
42 > Some external programs, like vmware and songbird, and internal portage
43 > programs like  xfishtank don't worked with this new version of glibc.
44 > And, some plugins donwloaded from irssi's site don't worked with this
45 > new version of glib.
46 >
47 after upgrading packages like glibc and glib, or other system packages
48 (packages included in the system set), it's a must you run
49 revdep-rebuild to fix broken dependencies. running revdep-rebuild it's
50 safer also when upgrading normal packages that could break other
51 packages, like ffmpe, x264 or python. i usually run it at least once a
52 week or after a system upgrade.
55 dott. ing. beso