From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Errors when doing an emerge -uD world
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:12:06
1 On Monday 17 October 2005 04:51, John C. Shimek wrote:
2 > >>emm, is not -uD something almost everybody does, but nobody should do?
3 > >>
4 > >>I had the same error - AFAIR reemerging java-config solved it.
5 >
6 > No, -uD is update deep, -UD is what you should NOT be doing. the U
7 > means update only. The difference is if say package-1.45 was marked
8 > stable and then found to be buggy, it gets masked in some way. Then
9 > package-1.44 would be the most current stable package. The U flag says
10 > not to go back to the 1.44 package. On the other hand, the -u flag will
11 > "upgrade" to an older package if it is currently the newest unmasked or
12 > stable package.
13
14 -U is the OTHER flag you should never use ;)
15
16 If I remember correctly, a lot of time ago, it was said that you should not
17 use -d, and must not use -U ....
18
19 but ok, everybody chooses his own poison.
20 I never do --deep updates, but occasionally -U update, because I am not
21 willing to fiddle around with /etc/portage/package.mask /-.unmask for
22 something that will be/should be marked stable in the next few days....
23 --
24 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list