From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] *big* printing problem
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:17:28
1 I'm getting nuts: I've installed gentoo-amd64, compiled a kernel with parallel
2 port support (I tried both as module and compiled into the kernel), emerged
3 cups, but I can't print:
4
5 I can define printers both in cups (localhost:631) and the KDE control
6 center...
7 I can print to these printers...
8 I can see the jobs in the job manager...
9
10 ... but nothing ever comes out of the printer! I tried attaching it to usb:
11 same thing. I know it should work because it does under Mepis (same printer,
12 same port, same cable), so I would say I am missing "some piece" between the
13 software and the printer, but what?!?
14 Note that I have another printer on another computer (acting as a print
15 server) and I can print on that remote printer, but not on the local printer!
16
17 lsusb shows the printer, and the usb system works because I can use my
18 scanner. lsmod shows the lp, parport and parport_pc modules are loaded. What
19 could/should I check to get the printing system working? I
20 don't remember having done anything special when previously installing
21 Gentoo.
22
23 As usual I am gratefull for any hint to clear my misty brain :)
24
25 Thierry
28 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
29 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
30 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
31 Frank Zappa
32 --
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list