From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 02:07:24
1 On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:26:00 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix
6 > of 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I have actually
7 > seen where it is set. Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something
8 > else?
11 You have to make a symbolic link, /etc/make.profile, to a particular
12 profile in /usr/share/portage/profiles, i.e. either the multilib (64/32)
13 or the no-multilib (64-bit) profile. Also, the USE flag "multilib"
14 indicates to the compiler that both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries should
15 be built.
16
17 Check the Gentoo manual for all the details. You'd best get used to
18 reading the manual early. Everything is in there.
21 > If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a
22 > reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world?
23
24 I'm not sure. It's best to check the manual.
25
26 Frank Peters