From: Wil Reichert <wil.reichert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: firefox 2 on amd64
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:40:37
1 On 1/3/07, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
3 > 459C0E03.3080003@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed, 03 Jan 2007
4 > 15:11:47 -0500:
5 >
6 > > Ah, now it makes sense. But since I have no intention of building
7 > > anything to be distributed or used for other than what it was designed
8 > > for, I'm okay with the branding. Most times I treat brands like I treat
9 > > my kids when they get rowdy, I mentally turn off any notice of them.
10 >
11 > Admittedly being a bit pedantic, that isn't quite true, at least with
12 > "that browser otherwise called Firefox". You not only notice but accord
13 > some value to the brand, as you not only noticed but obviously prefer the
14 > Firefox branding, or you'd prefer "Bon Echo" or whatever, since the only
15 > positive is the branding, which you wouldn't care about, and it comes with
16 > a big negative, restrictions on your legal right to give your friend a
17 > copy, should they need or want one.
18 >
19 > So it appears you care rather more about branding than you claim.
20
21 Ha, I feel silly now for not adding 1+1. I'd read all about the
22 Debian iceweasel stuff, but never stopped to consider why Gentoo was
23 calling it 'Bon Echo' or why the logo was missing the orange splash.
24 Thinking I still really don't care all that much...
25
26 Wil
27 --
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list