From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Obligatory KDE4 question.
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 00:48:19
1 BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> posted
2 434429.3348.qm@×××××××××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Thu, 13
3 Mar 2008 13:46:40 -0700:
4
5 > I'm interested to hear, however, how easy it is for those of us that
6 > login on the command line instead of the GUI. Should be as simple as
7 > re-pointing the xinitrc file for the individual user, no?
8
9 I did/do the command-line login thing. I used the same user for both
10 KDE3 and KDE4. In theory, the script is supposed to take the ~/.kde
11 symlink and point it at the right profile (~/.kde3.5 or .kde.svn or the
12 4.x version, whatever it is). In fact, I had some issues with that due
13 to my customized setup (I have and use ~/kde*, without the . hiding the
14 dirs, normally, tho .kde* exists and points to the same places, and some
15 of my temp and cache dir stuff is pointed at customized locations), but
16 it worked well enough once I understood what they were doing and created
17 my own starter scripts to do the same thing to my customized dirs.
18
19 So as long as each computer user account uses only one of the KDEs, and
20 as long as you've not customized the user's profile or temp dirs, there
21 should be no issues in that regard. If you have customized but use
22 separate users, I'm assuming you're advanced enough to resolve the
23 customization issues with a script as I did and there shouldn't be
24 anything major. If you use the same user, things can get a bit complex
25 with settings from one showing up but not doing what's expected in the
26 other, and this gets MORE complex if you've customized user KDE locations
27 a bit, but it's still workable, with some patience. The worst problem I
28 had was losing my KDE3 kmail account settings when KDE4 kmail started
29 instead due to mixed-up paths. Fortunately, I had backups, and was able
30 to restore a working file without having to re-setup all my mail accounts
31 manually.
32
33 So keep to a different user for kde4 testing and don't customize his kde
34 and temp locations, and all should be well. If you use the same user,
35 expect some complexity, but it can be managed if you've been cautious and
36 done your backups before testing, and know bash and remember enough about
37 your customized locations to get each one pointed correctly as
38 necessary. Really, the separate user testing is the way to go at this
39 point, but stubborn folks like me prefer doing it the hard way!
40
41 The deal breaker here wasn't that, it was simply that huge swaths of
42 functionality from 3.x are still missing in 4.x, as I mentioned in an
43 earlier post. If you aren't the seriously customizing type, you'll
44 probably be fine, but then I can't really see why you'd be interested in
45 being so far out front on KDE4, either.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list