From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install to a RAID set?
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 13:40:41
1 On Tuesday 09 May 2006 15:15, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > Very useful - thanks. Looks like I'll have to try harder with sw raid,
4 > as I don't think it's worth spending £300 to make the disks go faster,
5 > and this box has only 32-bit PCI slots so I can't fit a modern card
6 > (unless you know different).
7
8 I also have got a box running plain in-kernel software raid level 1 (with
9 2x80GB EIDE disks), and I'm very happy with it also. I manage it with
10 mdadm, and, after the initial setup and the mandatory tests (simulated
11 failure, etc.) it runs very smoothly and you can really forget about it.
12 Just follow the directions in the software-raid howto. If you want to
13 have your / on a software raid, things are a little more complex (but
14 not too much).
15 If you have many more reads than writes on your raid array, eg in a web
16 server, software raid (expecially level 1 and 5) usually performs very
17 well, since partial reads are performed in parallel (if you set up
18 things carefully).
19 IIRC you have only two disks, so raid 1 or 0 are your only choices (be
20 sure to backup regularly if you use plain raid 0 since it has no
21 redundancy).
25 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list